Measures Q & R
Thank you Santa Barbara! The overwhelming success of Measures Q and R on November 2, 2010 demonstrates once again that the people of Santa Barbara strongly support quality school facilities and excellence in education for all of our children. The Santa Barbara Education Foundation is proud to have provided the leadership for the successful “Yes on Q & R” campaign.
The passing of Measure Q authorizes the issue of $75,000,000 in general obligation bonds for Santa Barbara secondary schools while Measure R authorizes $35,000,000 in general obligation bonds for Santa Barbara elementary schools. Click here to see updated photos of the use of funds from Measure Q and Measure R.
Measures Q and R will provide badly needed renovations at our schools in a financially responsible way. Passage of these bonds will generate $110 million to pay for modernizing aging infrastructure without any current increase in property taxes by extending the life of bond debt already in place.
MEASURES Q AND R WILL:
- Modernize aging schools in energy efficient ways, including solar panels to reduce energy costs and save money
- Allow funds to be redirected to the classroom where they are needed most
- Add classroom and laboratory technology
- Enhance safety and security systems including emergency communication systems
- Replace or renovate deteriorated permanent and portable classrooms
- Improve school kitchens, cafeterias and other deteriorating facilities.
MEASURES Q AND R MAKE SENSE FINANCIALLY:
- Q and R allow the District to capitalize on renewable energy credits and state matching funds to save money and preserve the environment
- Q and R extend existing bond debt, but will not increase the current property tax rate
- Q and R protect property values and maintains the desirability of our community
- Q and R create local construction jobs
BY LAW, TAXPAYER SAFEGUARDS ARE IN PLACE. MEASURES Q AND R PROVIDE:
- Oversight by an independent citizens’ committee with annual audits
- Funds will be used only for their intended purposes and remain local
- Guarantees that no money can be spent on administrator salaries or for employee retirements, health or other benefits
THANK YOU FOR SUPPORTING MEASURES Q AND R
Due to the State fiscal crisis, educational resources are scarce. More than ever we are confronted with competing priorities. But there is no greater priority than investing in our children. Supporting education even in these tough times shows our commitment to the future of our community. THANK YOU FOR YOUR VOTE OF SUPPORT!