Pianos on State will still take place this year, with a twist. The 11th annual installment will take place November 5-25th, 2020.
Pianos on State has been enlivening Santa Barbara’s downtown for eleven years now. This interactive musical experience spontaneously reintroduces music into people’s everyday lives, when pianos painted by local artists are placed on State Street for anyone to play. We need music and liveliness now more than ever in these times, but safety measures required by coronavirus require a rethinking of how to provide an enlivening music experience for everyone. With that in mind, this is what Pianos on State 2020 will look like:
- The pianos painted gorgeously at Santa Barbara’s Community Arts Workshop, as always.
- A livestream from the CAW in which Santa Barbara musicians will play.
- All community members are invited to submit videos of themselves playing piano-based music, and speak to what music means to them in these times, shared on the Pianos on State Facebook page and with the hashtags #pianosonstate2020 #pianosonline #artsgetsusthrough.
- The pianos have been placed at the Marjorie Luke Theatre, The Lobero, The Santa Barbara Bowl, Soho and Center Stage and the CAW (Community Arts Workshop). A co-produced livestream music series promoting local performing artists will take place at those venues!
Online Concert Series Venues and Dates:
- The Santa Barbara Bowl — Happy Half-Hour Performance Livestream Friday, November 13th 5pm, on Instagram @sbbowl
- Lobero Theatre — Performance up online Tuesday, November 17 at 5 p.m. featuring Zach Gill and Opera Santa Barbara.
- Community Arts Workshop — Performance up online Sunday afternoon November 22nd
- Marjorie Luke Theatre — Performance up online Wednesday morning November 25th, 9am, with artists Brian Mann, Gil Rosas, Michael Mortilla, Sio Tepper, Mendeleyev, and Jay Real.
- Center Stage Theatre — Performance date TBA!
- SOHO — A piano performance with Zach Gill, concert release date TBA!
For up to date information please visit: https://pianosonstate.com/
This program is a collaborative project that strives to provide arts exposure for all ages to the people of Santa Barbara. The organizations involved are committed to enhancing the cultural vibrancy of our creative communities throughout Santa Barbara County. Thank you to the following partners who make this project possible: City of Santa Barbara, Downtown Santa Barbara, Santa Barbara Education Foundation, Santa Barbara Arts Collaborative and the Community Arts Workshop, Santa Barbara Bowl Foundation, SB County Office of Arts and Culture, as well as other local business sponsors.
Thank you to the following partners who make this project possible: City of Santa Barbara, Downtown Santa Barbara, Santa Barbara Education Foundation, New Noise Music Foundation, Santa Barbara Arts Collaborative and the Community Arts Workshop, Santa Barbara Bowl Foundation, SB County Office of Arts and Culture, as well as other local business sponsors.